Alright, so i've been here for one week exactly!!!
Lots of emotions, lots of new adventures, and basically everything is new.
So, i got here last friday and my hair wacked out the second i got off the plane.
Humidity: winning.
Got a tour of the place and met some of the people here.
The staff went out drinking that night, so i stayed behind and did nothing.
Saturday the rest of the staff arrived and we began orientation week.
We started by playing some team building games and doing the low-ropes challanges.
At night we had a fire and sang camp songs( they sing princess pat, but not the same way...and rise and shine, also not the same way, as well as father abraham, definetly not the same way).
I wasn't able to attend church on sunday which was a bummer for me, but i tried to remember that it was the sabbath. With that being said, we did the ropes course and climbing wall, and we all played football that evening. At this point things are going well, i'm getting to know everyone and having fun playing sports(what i love). Monday was all about diabetes education. We talked about blood borne pathogens, how those with type 1 manage it, what it is, and nutrition. I learned a lot. That night we broke into groups and wrote a camp song and voted on the one we'd sing as a staff. Tuesday was a tough and boring day. We sat. For 7 hours of lecture on benches. I have bruised butt bones and a stiff back. Wednesday was the best yet. It was a mock run-through of what days with campers would be like.
Wake up: 7am
Breakfast: 8am
Clean up and inspection: 8:50
Flag Raising: 9am
First activity: sports
This was my job! I had to put on the activity for the staff and chose basketball. I had a lot of positive feedback from everyone that it went well. Yay.
Testing for pumpers: 10:15
Second Activity: campers can choose and sign up for activities, but we did Archery. Tobler's are naturally good at archery and i was no let down. 3 out of 5 in the yellow
Return to cabins, testing for all: 11:20
Lunch: 12
Announcements, etc: 12:40pm
Third activity: 1pm we did arts and crafts and made decorations for our cabins
Fourth activity: boating we headed for the lake and could choose between canoes or kayaks and go out and play
Pool: 3:20
Fifth activity: 4:30 also a rest hour
Dinner: 5:30
Flag lowering: 7pm
Staff challenge: 7:10
Snack/testing: 8:30
cabin activities: 9pm
Lights out: 10pm
Staff curfew, staff lounge closed: 12am
So there was the day. It was lots of fun doing each activity and knowing how the day would really run. The best part about living at camp: The flag raising. I get to say the pledge of allegiance every day while i stare at the beautiful flag be raised into the morning sun. I get a little choked up at times. We're so lucky to live in this amazing country!
There are 4 guys from the UK working this summer, and they have interesting things to say...
I super miss the Utah bubble. I realized how much i would love to have my kids raised there. I've heard the f word more in this past week than i have my whole life, and probably will the rest of my life after this summer.
Not fun. Everyone drinks and parties, so i'm the odd one who doesn't go out with everyone else and people think i'm being a brat or whatever. I don't like feeling sticky 24/7 either. I wake up feeling nasty because of the humidity. Yucky. And guess what...it's not even bad yet! I'm in trouble. Yesterday we had sweet storms though. Thunder that shook and cracked the cabins and lightening happening at the same time; like right above us. Pouring rain, and then after about 10 mins it ends. But an hour later, it happens again. It was cool without the mountains seeing the lightening across the whole sky. Cool cool.
So, we got our cabins for the rest of the summer. Mine is called Best Friends. My co-counselors and i decided to have a water/beach theme and have been decorating it.
Here is my bed, locker and area. The mattress' are by sealy (FYI) and it's not so bad. My suitcases are pretty dirty from sliding in and out from under my bed everyday.... The other pictures i took aren't sending, so i'll have to post those another time. Everyone drinks coffee and tea in the morning and i wanted something, so i bought hot cocoa. After 5 mins i only had one serving left. Sheesh people, takin all my yumminess!
I'm trying to think about what else there is to say....It's been a week and i've already forgotten stuff. I've had a few people ask me about the church and what it is we believe. I've also had some people ask me what i thought about the show sister wives. I can't think of much else. Sorry. But, we got the internet installed today so i'll be able to post more often of experiences now. So, check back!
Good for you! I'm excited about your adventures! I understand completely the feeling of never being clean. You'll get used to it. :) And I definitely understand the bubble syndrome. I wish it wasn't so bad. As they get to know you, though, they might realize why you don't go drinking and might involve you more.
ReplyDeleteHave fun! Keep us posted!!
wow! sounds like a crazy experience! keep us updated! and yeah, the f word is no fun! being around marines i hear it waaaaaay too often and no matter how many times i hear it i always cringe! hope you are having fun!
ReplyDelete