Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Gone Campin

And it aint easy....
So, here I am in Newbury, Ohio.
It's 25 miles east of cleveland and about 10 from Kirtland.
It's humid.
My sheets are wet and i feel nasty when i sleep.
Its pretty gross.
I am the Sports Director at a camp for kids with Diabetes.
Not only do i coach and teach the kids how to play different sports,
but i'm also in the cabin with them as a counselor.
I run around and sweat all day.
It's not easy taking care of kids with diabetes.
We check blood sugar levels a lot.
The kids complain about being low and we test.
If they are low, we give them "tabs" and a pbg- peanut butter and graham to bring their level up.
 If their level is 250 or higher, they have to test for ketones by peeing on a stick, and then we read said stick to see results. :) These kids need breaks from each activity because exercise makes them go low. We also have many planned snacks. We count carbs for each meal and the kids can only eat what they signed up for because we counted those carbs only and they will receive insulin based on the pre-counted carbs. With that being said; some foods don't have carbs, so we have those foods they can fill up on if they are still hungry. ALSO, we have to make sure the kids eat everything on their plate. EVERYTHING. because like i said earlier, they get insulin based on carb intake. Anyway. It's not easy, but it's fun. I am in charge of 7 girls that are 9 years old. Adorable. My cabin is beach themed and it's adorable as well. I'm having fun and i'm not homesick. DID YOU HEAR THAT?!?!!? I'M NOT HOMESICK!!! Sure, I would love to see my mom and dad and everyone else. But, as much as i complain about the stupid annoying humidity, I am enjoying my time here and i'm meeting some cool new people. I was able to attend church on sunday and it raised my spirits tremendously.  It felt like home; and it was a branch so i was a new face that everyone had to know! I have camping girls that are homesick and needs hugs, and i am there to help them out! I also get to do things i love everyday. Play sports!!!! and plan activities and facilitate. Until yesterday, i had no bug bites. Today? TONS!!!!! Also, i forgot to mention this in my kirtland post; i was asked if i was mormon. I responded that yes, i was. The guy then asked me how many husbands i had. I said i wasn't married at all. To which, we gasped and said, "I thought you had to be married at 13?!" So, i told him it wasn't true. So, there you have it.
Life as Laura Tobler in Ohio at a camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment